Friday, July 22, 2011

Limits

I came to a very odd realization today as I was writing my final paper for the semester. I have never disliked writing, but there has always been something missing in it for me, and the truth of it came to me, writing is 2 dimensional.  I dont mean this as 2 dimensional lines on a piece of paper, but as a 2 dimensional process of thought, you can only ever convey your thoughts in a line segment, a piece here, a piece there, but if you cut up your pieces too small or try to connect too many at a single point, you lose your meaning. My thought processes run in 3 dimensions, every point serving multiple purposes, ideas spreading in all directions, so that when you try and take a 2 dimensional snapshot for a paper, some of the lines cross each other in the wrong places or have to be edited out so you can see others. That is what unsettles me, that I have to choose an exact path, and no one who ever reads my writing will see the beauty of the many branching paths in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment