Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Good old fashioned science

I finally got around to the egg in vinegar experiment.
For those of you who don't know what this is, the general concept is that when you soak an egg in vinegar, the acid will eat away all of the calcium (the hard part) leaving just that smooth membrane you see sometimes when you are trying to crack the egg open.
Expect smelliness (it is vinegar).

As a scientific sidenote, I am reminded of my own early forays into this "science" stuff. Much of my early interest came from my mother. Our first true experiment was the classic baking soda and vinegar, I don't know where she read about it, but needless to say, we underestimated its power, which is how we managed to explode a small tupperware container and got the mixture on every surface of the kitchen (including a great deal of the ceiling) No wonder I'm into this kind of thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment